Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Call to Action

by Davis Guggenheim

While I knew that I was sympathetic to the ideas behind the film when I went in, I was surprised by how much I liked the film. It doesn’t have a lot of new information and a lot of it consists of a presentation by Al Gore, but somehow it transcends that and becomes much more. Maybe it’s the arrangement of the facts and the mixing of the personal reasons that Al Gore feels so strongly about the issue that makes it work, but whatever it is, it is powerful and is making me rethink how I do things.
The core of the film is Gore’s presentation, but that is broken up with glimpses of Gore’s personal history which stops things from becoming bogged down with statistics and studies. I agree with what so many people are saying, it’s an important film to see, but it is more than just a rant, it’s a call to action and it contextualizes the crisis in a way that it encourages us to bring out the best in each other and face the challenge head-on with a positive attitude.

tags: , , , ,

No comments: