Monday, May 01, 2006

Experimental Melancholy

by Sparklehorse

Maybe it was in a dream, or maybe I heard it somewhere else, but when I heard the song “It’s a Wonderful Life” in the film Happily Ever After I instantly recognized it. I first heard Sparklehorse in a short film by Gariné Torossian that was constructed around the song “Babies on the Sun”. I haven’t seen the music video for the song “It’s a Wonderful Life” (which was directed by Guy Maddin) so that’s not where it’s from. But somehow, when I heard it, it struck a chord with me.
Beautifully orchestrated with a melancholy tone throughout (and a track with Tom Waits!) it’s become an instant favourite that is perfect for when I’m in a more casual mood. Scratchy and a bit experimental without electronic overtones, it’s has an analog feel with more traditional instruments forming the background instead of synthesis. I don’t have the words to describe it accurately, but take parts of Radiohead, Boards of Canada, a little Tom Waits, and smooth it out a bit and you’ve got something close to Sparklehorse.

tags: , , , ,

No comments: