Sunday, March 20, 2005

Holy Flickr!

Caterina confirms on the Flickr Blog that Yahoo Buys Flickr. I had to pause and think about it a bit. I was hoping that they'd stay independent, but with the rapid growth they've been going through I really couldn't see how they would be able to keep going without some sort of change. The slightly strange thing was that I was thinking that Yahoo has been around a long time and they are doing some neat things and are changing and embracing the whole api and sharing thing a lot more. I signed up for Yahoo 360 a few days ago and I was thinking that there is no way that they can have a photo sharing component that will compete with Flickr. Now it all becomes clear and I think that if Yahoo brings the spirit of Flickr into Yahoo 360 it will kick some serious butt. It's exciting and scary and I hope that it turns out well. I think that everyone has learned a lot from other purchases and realize how sensitive communities are when someone else takes over. It's a delicate balance and what is great is that more and more things are becoming easier and cheaper to do. This is probably good news for tagging as well... it's Flickr that really helped me understand how great tagging was. Lets hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
technorati tags: ,

No comments: