Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Doctor Who

I watched the new Doctor Who tonight and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Christopher Eccleston is an actor whose choices I like and he brings a lot of energy and humour to the role. Doctor Who has always had a campy quality to it and Russell T. Davies seems to have fun with the new series while balancing the drama. The villians are silly and there is a joyful goofiness to whole thing that just seemed to work.
It’s junk food, much like 24, but one of the neat things was watching my son watch the show. He loved it too and he wanted to know more about the show. I’m enjoying seeing how things are updated, but John is seeing it for the first time.
I think that it has a lot of potential and I’m going to keep watching it. The other fascinating thing is how Eccleston has quit the role and won’t be in the next series. I think that he’s a great Doctor and would do a great job for many outings, but he walked away. I have to admire the courage that it takes to do that, especially after the high ratings that the premiere received on the BBC. It’s neat to see an actor who does good work in a series choose not to be typecast in a role.

technorati tags: ,

No comments: