Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Love Letter to Cinema


Truffaut’s Day for Night (La Nuit Américain) is his declaration of love to cinema. The process of filmmaking is lovingly shown as well as the people who work in the business. I love this film because it explains and explores the characters and characteristics the field that Truffaut dedicated his life to. Filled with great moments that at times feel documentary-like, there are wonderful lines such as,

I might quit a guy for a movie, but I’d never quit a movie for a guy!
Within the film the entire range of life is represented with the old, the young, birth, death, jealousy and love. The overriding tone is of sheer joy as we watch the unlikely and magical combination of elements that results in a film being made. Every time I see this film it makes me fall in love with filmmaking again and reminds me of the genetic presdisposition that some of us have to tell stories on the screen.

tags: , , , ,

No comments: