Friday, March 03, 2006

A review of "Danger: Diabolik"

by Mario Bava

I’d heard of Danger: Diabolik for a while and I’m glad that I finally saw it. It’s an over-the-top adaptation of an Italian comic book that is filled with a playful visual style that looks fantastic. The colours and framing are amazing and it’s the epitome of 60s style. Directed by Mario Bava (with some shooting by him as well) in an energetic, breathless style with every frame lovingly composed. It’s as if the film constantly says, “watch this” and something outrageous or spectacular happens. I wanted to see the film after I saw CQ and found out that one of Roman Coppola’s inspirations was Diabolik. What I wasn’t counting on was the sense of fun and sheer cinematic joy that a late 60s Italian-French coproduction would have. I loved it and laughed at the sheer audacity of the film.

tags: , , ,

No comments: