Saturday, January 07, 2006

A review of "Apologies to the Queen Mary"







by Wolf Parade

My favourite musical discovery of last year has to be Wolf Parade. The driving rhythms of the drums and guitars combine with odd stories to create something that I alway love hearing. On Apologies to the Queen Mary each of the songs work well and the more I listen to it, the more I hear and the more I like it. My favourite tracks are the driving opening song, “You Are a Runner and I Am My Father’s Son” which starts with great drums and has a wonderful musical progression, the poppy “Shine a Light” and “I’ll Believe in Anything” which has the memorable chorus of
Nobody knows you and nobody gives a damn.

The vocals are distinctive and it’s a great mix of drums, guitar and synthesizer to have a fun sound that is also a bit more intellectual if you listen to the lyrics. I enjoy the little musical journeys that each song take me on.

tags:, ,

No comments: